Monday 5 March 2012

Is Your 'A' Worth It?


Over the years, I am often amazed on how students value their CGPAs more than the lessons they actually learn in class. Everyone wants to score an A. But an A means nothing when you cannot even apply some of the things that you learn in life or at work. Many students would study hard for exams by memorizing information. And so, most students actually managed to get good grades at the end of the semester. But I want you to answer this question...is your 'A' really worth it? Do you value the things that you have learned? Does the knowledge you gained after all these years somehow make you a better person? Or are you just like SpongeBob? Have you seen SpongeBob taking a shower? He actually ate a bar of soap and his body then expanded until it actually exploded. After that he was clean. That is what students normally do. They memorize the information in the texts and then they explode during the exams. They pour everything that they memorize on the answer scripts regardless of whether the information is relevant or not. But come next semester, they will forget almost everything. So what is the point of you spending hours after hours studying when the knowledge never benefit your future? I am not saying that 'A' is bad. But remember, all the 'A's on your transcripts should reflect who you are. The 'A's are not just for show. They spell a certain level of quality.

8 comments:

Kay Q said...

It's quite true of you.Students used to be such a way.Memorize all the things and then vomit them out in 1 time.Even me is doing the same thing. But somehow I think I am not "empty" brain after the exam.The things that I had learned will be somewhere inside my brain. It just need some stimulus to dig the knowledge out from deeper inside the brain.Or review to the same textbook, I will still get image of it and know what they are talking about.Even novel that I had read had taught me more in moral value. It is too make me compare the values between the novel and also in the reality.

dahliaz said...

Other people may have different opinions about this. I just sort of being reminded by the Spongebob character when I see how hard students memorized facts from the text books. A couple of times I would discover subjective answers that quoted the sentences in the text word for word. And I thought..amazing! But memorizing + understanding the facts would of course develop an excellent individual. No doubt about it. Keep up your good work.

Cakey san said...

From my perspective, "A" is worth for the things that I have learned. The subject I learnt this few years aid me a lot during the activities or event like doing management and decision making. Every subject have their learning points but sometimes for me is too full, I couldnot remember to apply them in daily. Besides, I always heard from lecturer that ask us to understand the ideas not memorise. However, most of the times I choose to memorise it after understanding. Because sometimes is too many points need to answer the question even I understand it I also need to memorise. These are all my views. Thanks ^^

dahliaz said...

Memorizing is fine as long as you take the time to understand what you memorize. And of course, not all the knowledge you learn will be useful to you in the future. Every class will be different for each one of us. Some we like, some we don't like. That is normal. It is impossible for us to be perfect in everything. But as long as we keep trying, we will become better each day. Glad to read some of your views.

haslida said...

knowledge is power, than we should use it in our daily life..to make it meaningful.The control of information is something the elite always does.Information, knowledge, is power. If you can control information, you can control people.. so that, we should use our knowledge in a right way, not just gain knowledge for exam only, but for our real life..

haslida said...

control of information is something the elite always does.Information, knowledge, is power. If you can control information, you can control people.. and it will be meaningful when we use it in our daily life and in correct way..

fza HB said...

i'm quiet agree with your opinion. its happen to me also. some of memory of what i'm study for exam its gone just like the paper that i sent to lecturer...but most of the information i try to apply in my life...not all of what we learning in class can we apply in real life..all student want A in their grade, so the best way to get A is memorize the note but we must know what actually we study about.

chew wee said...

I hate memorize things,because I have a poor memory. What I usually do is understanding the information and if I cannot understand it, I will try to memorize it. But it always take me long time to memorize things. I want admit that sometimes the information gone when I finished my final exam but I just need to review the textbook to refresh my memory.